Your Guide to the Good Life on the South Shore of Tampa Bay


Search the  Guide

Find the Print Edition



About the Area


Contact Us


The Department of State's Consular Information Sheet offers up-to-date information on health conditions, unusual currency and entry regulations, crime and security conditions, drug penalties, and areas of instability for any country in the world.

To get it, dial the Office of Overseas Citizens Services anytime at 202-647-5225.

By Fax From your fax machine, dial 202-647-3000, using the handset as you would a regular telephone. The system prompts you on how to proceed.

On the Internet:

By mail from the Bureau of Consular Affairs, Room 4811, U.S. Department of State, Washington, D.C. 20520-4818 (send SASE & indicate country of destination), or visit any regional passport agency, Department of Commerce field office, or U.S. embassies and consulates abroad, or by writing

Health Information for International Travel--a comprehensive listing of immunization requirements of foreign governments, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's recommendations on immunizations and other health precautions for international travelers.

Copies are $14 from the Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. 20402; 202-512-1800. Also, the CDC Hotline at 404-332-4559.

Know Before You Go, Customs Hints for Returning U.S. Resident--detailed information on U.S. Customs regulations, including duty rates.

Single copies are free from any local Customs office or by writing to the Department of the Treasury, U.S. Customs Service, P.O. Box 7407, Washington, D.C. 20044.

Don't Pack a Pest—lists the regulations on bringing agricultural items into the United States from most parts of the world. Fresh fruits and vegetables, meat, potted plants, pet birds, and other items are prohibited or restricted.

Free from the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture, 732 Federal Bldg., 6505 Belcrest Road, Hyattsville, Maryland 20782.

Buyer Beware! -- Information about restrictions on importing wildlife and wildlife products. For a free copy: Publications Unit, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Department of the Interior, Washington, D.C. 20240.

Medical Assistance Abroad. A list of English speaking doctors

Available from the Office of Overseas Citizens Services, Room 4811, 2201 C Street, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20520. Please specify to which country you will be traveling.

Travel information for specific countries or regions --a series of pamphlets

Available for $1-$1.50 each from the Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. 20420: tel. 202- 512-1800

Key Officers of Foreign Service Posts gives addresses and telephone, telex, and fax numbers for all U.S. embassies and consulates abroad.

Background Notes: brief, factual pamphlets on all countries in the world. They give current information on each country's people, culture, geography, history, government, economy, and political condition and include a factual profile, brief travel notes, a country map, and suggested reading list.You may also obtain select issues by fax by calling the State Department's Bureau of Public Affairs Fax on Demand at 202-763-7720 from your fax machine.

Foreign Entry Requirements lists visa and other entry requirements of foreign countries and tells you how to apply. Order it from the Consumer Information Center, Pueblo, CO 81009.

Read more about life after 65

Major Sponsors


The SouthShore Retirement Guide is published by
The Business Solution Group, publisher of periodicals for seniors from Tampa Bay to Charlotte Harbor
4411 Bee Ridge Rd. Sarasota FL 34233
941-870-3523 • •

All contents ©2008-2009 by The Business Solution Group